Grocery Stores 079
The product group includes stores that have a wide assortment within several product groups and sell a high proportion of daily goods.
The Nordic Swan Ecolabel offers an effective tool for reducing the environmental and climate footprint of the grocery store. It also actively contributes to several of the UN's sustainability goals, especially goal 12 on responsible consumption and production.
The requirements include:
- Limit value for sales share of organic food and drink, MSC-labelled fish and ecolabelled goods.
- Offering of food with lower environmental impact, for example locally produced goods.
- Routines to prevent food waste.
- Measures to limit energy use and climate impact.
- Effective waste sorting to reduce the amount of residual waste, as well as ensure the possibility of material recycling and resource utilization.
- Use of ecolabelled goods and services for their own operations.
- Training of employees.
- Start your application process by reading the criteria document and find out if your product can obtain the Nordic Swan Ecolabel.
- Read your Application Guide.
- Request login credentials.
- Now you are ready to enter the Nordic Ecolabelling Portal.
Should you wish to transfer your licence, please use this form.
Please contact one of our national offices for information about fees for this product group.
In the criteria document, you can read about how to document and verify compliance for each requirement. You can also find the reasoning and facts behind the specific requirements in the criteria document.
Criteria documentEnglish / 4.0
Information on the latest version of the criteria for grocery stores
4.0: New criteria generation
Version 4.0 of Nordic Ecolabelling's criteria for grocery store has been published. The new version is valid until 31 August 2027.
3.4 ⇛ 3.5: Prolongation of the validity of the criteria
The criteria have been prolonged with 12 months and are valid to 31 December 2024. The new version is called 3.5.
3.3 ⇛ 3.4: Prolongation of the validity of the criteria
The criteria have been prolonged with 18 months and are valid to 31 December 2023. The new version is called 3.4.
3.2 ⇛ 3.3: Prolongation of the validity of the criteria
The criteria have been prolonged with 18 months and are valid to 30 June 2022. The new version is called 3.3.
3.1 ⇛ 3.2: Adustment and prolongation of the validity of the criteria
Requirement O7 has been changed and in requirement O11 a specification has been added. Furthermore, the criteria have been prolonged with 18 months and are valid to 31 December 2020. The new version is called 3.2.
3.0 ⇛ 3.1: Adjustment of criteria
- Requirement O1 has been changed for retail chains. The sales of groceries must be calculated for the chain as a whole, and not only for the stores that are included in the licence.
- The definition of a retail chain has been changed. It has been decided to remove the minimum limit of five stores for a retail chain.
The new version is called 3.1.
3.0: New criteria generation
Version 3.0 of Nordic Ecolabelling's criteria for grocery store has been published. The new version is valid until June 30th 2019.
For this productgroup the background to the requirements can be found in the criteria document.
Here you can also read the comments, requirement for requirement, from the public hearing.
If the documents are in a Nordic language, you can get help in understanding the sections you need by contacting the product specialist in your chosen country below.
Consultation commentsSwedish / 4.0